The Bear Detectives: The Case of the Missing Pumpkin is a 1975 Beginner Book written and illustrated by Stan and Jan Berenstain.
When Farmer Ben's blue ribbon pumpkin is missing, Papa and the Bear Detectives try to find it. During their search, they come to several dead ends, including a haystack and a pig pen.
Suddenly, the bears smell a pumpkin smell. They hear Farmer Ben's wife call out, "Come and get your pumpkin pies!" The case is solved when it turns out that Mrs. Ben has made pumpkin pies from the blue ribbon pumpkin. They all eat together as the book ends.
- This marks Snuff's first appearance in the Berenstain Bears series.
- This book is released to video as the third story in The Berenstain Bears and the Missing Dinosaur Bone and 2 Other Stories.
- The final draft of the cover is different from the printed version:
- On the title, "THE BEAR" is each-word capitalized.
- Papa is wearing a detective cap.
- Only Papa's right hand is grasping Snuff's leash. His left hand is on his hat.
- The small bears aren't in line.
- The trail is shorter and has footprints.
- The detective's bag and magnifying glass isn't in this draft.
- The barn has entrance stairs.
- There is a bush next to the barn.
- The eyes in the barn are glowing yellow.
- Differences between the original cover and the 40th anniversary edition cover:
- One of the small bears are missing.
- The title is not outlined.
- One of the small bears has the black bag. Another one has a magnifying glass.